Early Childhood Education
At HIS, we offer an ECE programme to children from Nursery to Kindergarten (ages 2-5). We follow an inquiry-based curriculum and create an environment that is stimulating, nurturing and supportive of young learners.
Early Childhood Education is an integral part of the school and provides an excellent base from which the children progress into a more formal learning environment in Kindergarten. On a daily basis, children are provided with opportunities to explore, observe, question, and construct knowledge from the world around them. Teachers work alongside students; they watch, inquire, and interact in order to learn more about what interests each child. The ECE Curriculum is designed to provide an authentic learning pathway for children, where teachers thoughtfully provide the skills and strategies to investigate the world around them.
The school offers a curriculum which has:
- Teaching and learning materials tailored to the international setting.
- An emphasis on providing a safe, caring and nurturing environment.
- The opportunity for each child to develop at their own pace within a structured environment.
- Learning experiences which support and challenge each child through a combination of teacher and child-initiated, play-based activities.
- Enrichment opportunities for the development of Mandarin language for non-native and native speakers
Early Childhood Education at HIS includes four main strands:
Each of the four Learning Strands describes what children will experience and learn about through activities woven into the units of inquiry.
These strands help the children to develop skills in the following areas: Language and Literacy, Mathematics, Expressive Arts and Design, Science and Technology
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organize ourselves
- Sharing the planet
Teachers design units which explore a main question, and focus on up to three concepts. Our students are encouraged to ask questions and to pursue explorations into their own areas of interest. Learning experiences are designed to inspire children’s curiosity and creativity and to develop their ability to be well-rounded citizens of the world.
To read more about the IB Primary Years Programme in an early years setting, click here.