Director of Athletics' Welcome
Welcome to Hangzhou International School Athletics - home of the Golden Dragons. The Athletics Department seeks to provide students with an appreciation of how involvement in individual and team sports is a great complement to their academic pursuits. Athletics challenges our student athletes physically but of equal importance is the development of self- confidence, resilience, teamwork, leadership, commitment, courage, and a growth mindset. These qualities, which are emphasized in all of our Athletic programs, will serve our students well beyond their time at HIS.
Hangzhou International School offers a diverse range of athletics options for all students with a total of 29 teams across 12 sports. We are a member school of four athletics conferences: Hangzhou International Schools Athletics Conference (HISAC), Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS), Shanghai International School Activities Conference (SISAC), and China International Schools Sports Association (CISSA). These affiliations provide our student athletes multiple opportunities to compete in events in Hangzhou, Shanghai and throughout China.
The HIS campus has excellent facilities for sports and physical activities. These include:
- 2 double-court gymnasia equipped with spectator bleachers and capable of hosting matches and tournaments in all of our indoor sports
- A 25m 6-lane Swimming Pool capable of hosting swim competitions
- A full-size artificial turf soccer field with floodlights to enable evening activities.
- A fully-equipped Fitness Centre
- An ECE gymnasium suitable for various indoor activities for younger children
- 3 Multipurpose Studios suitable for Dance, Yoga, Taekwondo
- A 20m indoor Bouldering Wall
- Outdoor multi-purpose court suitable for Tennis, Basketball activities
- The school is also surrounded by plentiful off-road running trails in the many parks and mountains situated adjacent to the campus.
The HIS Gold Dragons Athletics program continues to grow each year, with over 65% of all Middle and High School students involved in a sports team during the 2021-2022 school year, and over 50% involved in multiple teams. Athletics is well-supported by our faculty members and parent community and this provides a focal point for our wider school community to connect and share successes. I’m looking forward to your involvement in our athletics program throughout the year.
Director of Athletics and Activities