Grade 8 Xiamen Excursion
Xiamen Grade 8 Trip is located in and around Xiamen, Fujian Province.
The HIS Grade 8 Program is supported by the Karst Climber outdoor education company who provide quality staff, equipment, and locations for student experiential learning.
Xiamen and Fujian province are landmarks in getting to know China, famous for their cultural, architectural and historical importance. When it comes to school programs, the Xiamen TRY program offers a variety of activities through several different locations within the province of Fujian. It’s a balanced program, with a trifold profile: cultural exploration of the Hakka round dwellings and the history behind them, service activities and a good bundle of exciting, adventurous activities.
Travel and Flight Information
31 students + 3T
17th Sep. Hangzhou/Xiamen
SC8838 09:20 - 10:55
Arrive at airport before 7:20 am
Estimated arrival: 21:00
Departure from HIS at 6:00am
Arrive at HIS around 22:30pm
Schedule of Activities -- September 17-21
Day 1 -- Monday, September 17
Coastal road biking
Nanputuo Temple Visit
Souvenir shopping or local night market
Day 2 -- Tuesday, September 18
Transfer to Changtai(1.5 hours)
Via Ferrata / High Ropes
Dinner & Day review
Hotel Changtai - hot springs evening
Day 3 -- Wednesday, September 19
Breakfast at Hotel
Tree planting activity
Transfer to Hakka Village ( 2,5 h)
Lunch en route
Tulou- exploration & village visit
Changdi Inn, Hakka Village
Day 4 -- Thursday, September 20
Local school visit
Farming work in the village
BBQ dinner & Movie
Changdi Inn, Hakka Village
Day 5 -- Friday, September 21
Final discussions & conclusions
Transfer to Xiamen Airport (3.5 hours)
- Fujian Tulou - participants will get to learn more about the architecture, design and execution of the tulous, as well as peoples’ current lives in the area, through guided discovery. Our instructors will provide part of the information and students will be encouraged to discover the rest on their own.
- Local School visit & Farmwork - a short, half-day guided interaction with similar age students at a local school at the Hakka Village, followed by some farming field work, so our participants start experiencing some aspects of the daily life of the people they interact with.
- Via Ferrata & High Ropes - on a very different note than previous activities, these are two very strong personal challenges for students to overcome, and they will do so with the help of the instructors and their peers.
- Tree planting activity -part of the service component of this program, students will have a chance to contribute to the well-being and maintenance of the mangrove tree forests nearby Changtai.
- Xiamen coastal bike ride - an easy bike ride that allows leisure time in Xiamen , along the coastlines , plenty of stops and rests.
Food & Accommodation
Catered food - food is provided at different locations, from farmer’s restaurants to hotel buffets. Karst will make sure to choose a menu that offers variety and a good nutritional value for young children. Most of the items are Chinese cuisine representatives. Breakfast are supplemented by Karst Climber with items most students would be familiar with (toast, eggs, bacon, cereals & milk). During activity days, snacks, fruit and water are provided to keep the energy level high.
Accommodation - varies during the course of the program.
The Changdi Inn - offers a special stay in one of the old round buildings; the inn is on the basic side, offering shared bathrooms but all the necessary conditions for 1 night stay.
The Chagtai Hotel is in the mid range and the Xiamen Hotel is in the upper-mid range, for the last evening of accommodation.
Hakka Village - Yongding, Longyan, Fujian Province
Changtai- Zhangzhou, Fujian Province
Closest Airport - Xiamen GaoQi International Airport