Employment Application Process
HIS does most of its hiring through the most reputable international educator recruitment organizations:
- Search Associates (http://www.searchassociates.com/)
- University of Northern Iowa (http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/)
- International School Services (http://www.iss.edu)
- The International Educator (http://www.tieonline.com)
- Global Recruitment Collaborative (https://www.grcfair.org/)
- True Teaching (https://www.trueteaching.com/)
We begin reviewing applications in October for the next school year and will make appointments prior to the start of the recruiting fair season (November-February). We review expressions of interest which may be made via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), and make initial contact with long-listed candidates via digital medium (currently we are using Zoom platform for most web-based interviewing). Further interviews with finalists are done in person at HIS, at a recruitment fair, and/or via digital medium.
Thank you for your interest in teaching at HIS. Our school currently enrolls approximately 750 students from over 50 different countries. Our professional faculty numbers more than 85.
Minimum teaching requirements for HIS include:
- Valid teaching credential or equivalent in subject area from a government institution (four-year degrees required)
- Five years full-time teaching experience in the grade level or subject area of our vacancy
- No criminal history (HIS background check will be thorough, including reference checks, required non-criminal police reports from home country and current country of residence, and an external background check)
- Familiarity with best practices in education
- Evidence of recent professional growth activities
- Experience and commitment to co-curricular and after school activities
- Experience working in a multi-cultural or international school setting
- Inquiry-based learning and instructional experience
- Willingness to work together with team in developing units of inquiry (IB PYP, MYP, DP preferred)
- Passionate about life and life-long learning
- Have a warm, caring, and welcoming approach with learners
Teaching Positions Available
If you are interested in employment at HIS, please send a cover letter of introduction, recent portrait photo and a complete resume to:
Mr. Jeffry R. Stubbs, Director of Schools Email: email@example.com
78 Dongxin Street
Please visit our webpage ‘Employment Opportunities’ for a current list of open positions (only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview)
Overseas Hired (OH) Staff Benefits for the 2022-23 School Year
- Salary – HIS seeks educators with a minimum of 5 years full-time certified experience in a school setting. Entry-level salary offers for qualified teachers range from US$52,000 to US$65,000 contingent upon relevant experience, degree status, and certification. HIS will pay US$3000 at the end of each of the first two years of service as a retirement savings. This will increase US$500 for each subsequent contract up to a maximum of US$6000.
- Currency Exchange Option – Teachers will be given the option to choose either to be paid at exact RMB/Dollar exchange rates when salary is paid, OR a “50/50” option that locks in the August 01 exchange rate for 50% of each monthly salary payments made in mainland China. This option increases earnings security and the decision process is formally communicated prior to the start of the school year.
- Chinese Taxes – HIS will pay on your behalf all PRC taxes accrued from your salary.
- Displacement Allowance – HIS will pay a displacement allowance of US$1000 for each new teacher upon his/her arrival in Hangzhou in August. (first year only)
- Baggage Allowance – HIS offers a one-time baggage or freight allowance for actual costs up to the maximum amount of US$1500 payable after presentation of applicable receipts. (reimbursable one-time only)
- Visa Paperwork Allowance – HIS offers up to US$800 towards costs related to obtaining pre-arrival China visa.
- Annual Travel Supplement – HIS will provide each teacher with up to US$3000 for an annual travel supplement. Teachers are required to provide the school with the travel invoices and the boarding passes used for travel. An additional supplement is available for one dependent child per teacher (up to US$500 if under the age of 2 and US$1250 if age 2 years or older).
- Tuition Waiver – for up to one school aged child per contracted parent at HIS for each of the years employed at HIS while child is of HIS school age, residing in China, and meeting admissions requirements.
- Housing – Teachers hired on an overseas-hire (OH) status will be provided housing within reasonable proximity to the school. Accommodations are clean, spacious and furnished with basics. After the first year, OH faculty may seek their own unit for the school to set up lease within the school housing policy and cost parameters.
- Allowance for Utilities – HIS will contribute US$1500 per year towards utilities expenses, or provide utilities of a commensurate value.
- Medical Insurance – Overseas-hire (OH) teachers receive major global medical coverage. The insurance program covers emergencies worldwide, including the US, but does not include the US for elective or non-emergency outpatient treatment. Outside the US, elective and routine coverage is substantial and comprehensive. Our current provider is GBG TieCare International www.tiecare.com.
- Physical Check-up Benefit – RMB3500 towards an annual physical examination, exams, and vaccinations for each individual covered in the insurance program.
- Health and Dental Wellness – RMB3,500 towards health and fitness expenses, as well as a dental/vision wellness allowance of RMB3,500 towards dental cleaning, vision exams and maintenance (both reimbursable on an annual one-time basis) beyond benefits provided in the insurance program.
- Transportation Allowance – RMB500 first year for access public transportation within city of Hangzhou.
- Lunch – HIS faculty are not charged for cafeteria lunch on school days.
- Recruitment Leave – Up to 4 paid recruitment leave days (extended with 1 personal leave day) may be taken by an overseas-hired teacher in his/her third or more year, with pre-arrangement and approval of the Administration.
- Savings – Single teachers can save between 60-75% of their salary each year and still enjoy a comfortable lifestyle that includes travel. Couples without children may save an even higher portion.
- Professional Growth Funding – All professional educators are eligible to apply for up to US$1000 individual professional growth support in their initial two years, and US$1500 for subsequent years. Additional funding and professional growth opportunities are provided for grade level team (lower school), subject area department (upper school), and schoolwide initiatives. As of September 2021, the onsite requirement of an MEd in Inclusive Leadership from San Diego State University is in its second cohort over 15 HIS faculty enrolled. Entry is possible mid-program. The onsite program can also be taken as a 5-course Inclusive Leadership certificate only as well.
- Leaves of Absence – Personal Leave, Sick Leave, Compassionate Leave, and Professional Leave. Paid Maternity Leave is available after the 2nd complete year of employment.
Additional information about HIS and its policies can be found on the school’s website at:
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional development support is available to faculty members with a wide range of activities, including book studies, action research, attendance at a regional conference (ACAMIS, EARCOS, IB, SENIA, etc), coursework with onsite or online accredited universities, weekend or online workshops, and membership or subscriptions with educational organizations. At various times during the year, training professionals are also brought to campus for the purpose of enhancing teacher excellence and professional discourse. HIS does offer a number of leadership opportunities for those seeking to share their expertise or lead a given role or initiative. HIS is a highly collaborative and collegial environment with highly reflective individuals who understand the strength of teamwork, which is a research-proven condition for the highest levels of professional growth and improved student learning.